Tuesday 8 July 2014

The Pomodoro Technique is for post WWW kids with attention deficit.

The Pomodoro Technique has gained a fair bit of traction over the years as a way to mark time and get things done.  Its pretty simple and pretty cool because its pretty simple.

However, the recommend time slice of 25 minutes strikes me as very little.

A grown adult getting paid for a living to work at a job ought really to be able to get their head down for an hour to get stuff done. I'm sure I didn't have problem concentrating for an hour when I was kid. We had 3 hour exams, hour long lessons and I've never had a problem sitting though a film.

I reckon its a problem that we consume media in smaller and smaller chunks these days just as Fahrenheit 451 predicted.  I have noticed my attention span becoming a problem.  I used to attribute it to smoking; the nicotine monster kicks in well before an hour is up if you let it.  I presumed that after giving up smoking I was left with this short little span of attention and the rest of my life was going to be hard.

Then I tried the pomodoro technique and set the timer to an hour.  Turned out it was not that hard.  It took 4 or 5 attempts to get comfortable with an hours continuous work.

I've stuck to an hour since and the evils of 451 are disappearing. I can keep my head in a book as long as I like and spend a lot less time on arsebook.  I recommend anyone sold on the pomodoro technique to increase the span as much as they can, or soon enough, Amazon will remote wipe your book collection and that knock on the door will be the fire brigade.



No comments:

Post a Comment